Monday, August 3, 2015

The Only Way to Read the Bible

"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -Theodore Roosevelt

The Devil wrote the NIV.

That's what a church in seminary told me when they inquired about me being their pastor. My refusal to preach from the KJV not only dropped me from consideration, but they sent literature to my house to correct me.

I have no problem with people who want to read the King James Bible, as long as they don't make it a requirement for salvation. 

It's so easy to make rules about the right way to read the Bible. But the only right way to read the Bible is seriously.

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." 
Matthew 4:4

Yes, Bible translation is important so that we have an accurate representation of the original languages. I often recommend the ESV, NKJV, and even the NIV. But remember that these are not the words of men, but the words of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13)

1. Pick a plan. Don't wake up and randomly pick something to read. Have a plan for what you'll read. I'm going through a chronological study right now. You can also use YouVersion which has some great theme plans through their website and app.

2. Pick a verse. After you read each day, pick a verse to think on through your day. Maybe even use it to pray. Today I picked a verse from the story of Joseph in the OT that reminds me to be a promise maker and a promise keeper.

3. Pray. Talk to God about what you read and how it should impact you today.

Last thought: If you read the Bible earlier today, and you can't remember what you read, you need to try again. Allow the words of God to influence your entire day!

No comments:

Post a Comment