Monday, August 24, 2015

The $18,000 Prayer Answer

I've been waiting 2 years to write this post.

After a difficult ministry experience, God brought our family to an incredible church in Pennsylvania. For five years I served as their Associate Pastor while I healed, learned, and built friendships that have extended beyond timezones.

So when First Baptist of Machesney Park called me to serve as their Pastor, I was ready.
But we had one thing standing in the way of a happy ending...


I had been praying for over a year that when God provided a Lead Pastor opportunity, He would sell our house. So when the first realtor told us we'd lose money and never sell by our July move date, I found another realtor. Adam also confirmed we'd never break even, but that he could get it sold.

So while I was on a mission trip, my wife endured 11 showings in the course of just a few days. I realized she was getting worn out from constantly leaving the house with our kids. After talking with her by phone, I prayed. "God, thanks for bringing so many prospective buyers. I know the house has only been listed a couple days, but would you just bring someone who will pay the asking price by the time I get home?" And He did. 

So the house was sold for what it was worth, but not for what we needed. The difference?

$18,000

You might think a pastor usually keeps $18,000 lying around for such an emergency, but you'd be wrong. So I prayed and checked around, but there weren't a lot of banks willing to loan $18,000 with no collateral. (I believe the exact number of such institutions was zero.)

Three days before we moved, I got a call from my Grandma. She knew from my mother about the money problem, and she called to loan the money. My grandma has been a hard-working factory worker all her life. I told her it was a lot of money. 

She said, "Well Heath, how much do you need?" 
"Grandma, I need $18,000."
"OK. So where do you want me to send it?"

And that was that. Grandma sent $18,000 to the bank to cancel my debt. And I committed to pay that $18,000 back to her. But how was I going to do that, and have a place to live in Illinois?

There were many factors that confirmed our call to FBC. Our background in worship and youth have been valuable here. Our kids get to serve and not just be served. And in an age where many churches don't have a parsonage, FBC did. It wasn't the reason we came, but was the final proof that God had handled every detail.

So for the last two years, I've been living in our church parsonage, while paying back my Grandma. And this week, I send the last payment! Without the parsonage, it would have never been possible.

Why didn't I share this before? I feared someone would take pity on us and try to bail us out. God is the only One who deserves glory for my story. 

1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 

I praise God that He has never made a plan for my life without every detail considered. And I challenge you to pray and seek God in that tough circumstance and remember...
Just because it's tough, doesn't mean it's not God's will for you. 

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Jehovah-Jirah! Wonderful confirmation of His call to FBC-MP too! Just in case the question ever arises. ;)

    ReplyDelete