Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Present or Presence?

"Holy Spirit you are welcome here.
Come flood this place and fill the atmosphere.
Your glory God is what our hearts long for
To be overcome by Your presence Lord."

I could never preach on a video screen.

While I could be present to preach to multiple congregations by video, my presence would be noticeably absent. The moment the projector goes off, I'm gone and so is the chance for my audience to get to know me and connect on a deeper level.

How can you put trust in someone who is only willing to be present?

The people loved Jesus not only for the words He said, but how He said them. He often used everyday objects around him to illustrate a deeper point. He ate, laughed, and prayed with people.

All we needed him to do was go to the cross for us. But God chose to be more than just present.

"I am with you declares the Lord." Haggai 1:13

When the prophet Haggai wrote this, the people of Israel had returned to Jerusalem following their exile, but were slow in rebuilding the temple as instructed. In this simple message, God gives two clear reminders:

1. I am present. There is nowhere you can be that God is not.

2. Welcome my presence. In the song "Holy Spirit", the writer encourages us to invite the presence of the God, which may seem silly since God is everywhere. But there is no doubt that God desires that we welcome His work and His way among us.

So while God is present and all around the life of the Christian, it's important we welcome His presence. In what ways do you need to be more faithful to seek the presence of God in your personal times of devotion?


No comments:

Post a Comment