Monday, August 17, 2015

Did MercyMe Get it Right?

This post changed MY mind.

The new MercyMe song had me totally grooving until they sang...

"The cross has made you flawless."

This line bothered me. Yes, I believe that my sins are covered by what Jesus did on the cross, but I worried that MercyMe had joined the Nicolaitans.

3 Quick Points on the Nicolaitans
1. They were not the Nicolas Cage Fan Club.
2. Why does every Nic Cage movie poster look exactly the same?


And without a sword...
















3. Nicolaitans told people, "Accept Jesus' forgiveness, and then live how you want!"
(Jesus warns of these guys in Revelation 2:15)

So my first thought was that MercyMe was indicating a type of "accept Jesus and you're all good" lifestyle.

But I recently remembered the words of my seminary professor, Dr. Cox...

Dr. Cox: "Heath, do you know what I like about you?"
Me: "What doc?"
Dr. Cox: "Absolutely nothing."

BUT THEN, I remember the helpful words of Dr. Cox from seminary
Stop critiquing messages so hard that you miss the heart behind them.

And that's what I had done with "Flawless." 
I recently watched their music video and saw the band members express honest issues they, and others, deal with. And each time the person in the video is no longer defined by their issues, but by Christ.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold the new has come." (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Is flawless the word I would have used? Probably not. But I have no doubt that MercyMe is communicating a gospel where people accept Jesus and embrace their new identity over their old definitions.

So listen not just to a person's words, because they are cheap things that can fall short at times. Listen to the heart.

2 comments:

  1. "Listen to the heart"....but isnt the heart deceitful? Just keeping it light and helping your point. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;) Yes the heart is deceitful, but that's talking inward messages that attempt to override the outward message of the gospel. Good scripture memory though!

      Delete