Monday, May 30, 2016

If only we understood sacrifice

People don't understand Memorial Day. 


Earlier in my ministry, a church member got upset with me because our church wasn't recognizing people who served in the Armed Forces for Memorial Day. I told this person that Memorial Day is a remembrance for those who died in the service of our country. When he continued to push me, I told him since he hadn't died there would be no special recognition for him in our service.

Probably could have handled that better. 

So when my youngest daughter asked to attend our local Memorial Day parade, I saw it as an opportunity. Obviously, we weren't dismissive of the veterans who marched, but it was clear their emphasis on this day was to remember those who sacrificed their very lives. It was important to me that she understand the cost of freedom.

"Therefore, I urge you brethren, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice." Romans 12:1

Sacrifice is supposed to cost us something. The sacrifice of a service member who gave their lives is obvious. But should the sacrifice of a Christian really look so different?

Sacrifices are not forced. We don't give them begrudgingly or tightfisted. We recognize that Jesus made a great sacrifice on our behalf: leaving heaven, enduring temptation and struggle, and ultimately dying on the cross. Truly, being the Savior of the world had an immense cost for Jesus.

So what are you giving? What does your Christianity cost you? Does it cost your comfort and your wants? Is your time your own, rarely available to God because you need it more? Often times, survivors in battle speak of those who sacrificed themselves willingly. Is there any area that you are unwilling to turn give fully to Jesus? 

No comments:

Post a Comment