Monday, May 23, 2016

Why does my church have to change?

Rose refused to give me my lunch.

Our workplace cafeteria was very affordable, and I got the chicken tender meal pretty much every day. During my years there I became friends with one of the cafeteria staff named Rose.

So one fateful day, I asked Rose for my chicken tenders and she said no! Rose pointed out some other items on the menu, and suggested I try the taquitos. In spite of my protest, I walked out with the taquitos, and....

Thanks to Rose, I realized taquitos, jumbo chili dogs, and even the salads were great options for lunch. I occasionally had my chicken strips, but it was clear that change wasn't so bad!

Lunches aren't the only thing that needs to change sometimes. 

We've seen many changes in churches over the years:

  • Preachers have traded suits for causal dress
  • Hymnals were replaced by screens
  • Giving can be done in the plate or on our phone

As a pastor, I have seen the fear that grips people when their church is going through change. When you've invested your family, money, and years into the life of a church, change can feel like an criticism of those investments.

But churches need to be open to change. Not a change in the message of the gospel, but a willingness to adjust the methods. As Paul said, he mirrored peoples' cultures and became:
"...all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel..." (1 Corinthians 9:22-23)

One of the biggest changes my own church has to consider is the possibility of adding a second worship service. I know the concerns that our people have, of losing the identity and intimacy that has defined our church and attracted many unchurched or dechurched people through our doors.

When churches choose to stay as they are, they can never hope for more. Whether the church is already in decline and hoping to hang on, or sending missionaries around the globe, there is always room for change. And when we accept change, we may be surprised to realize how much "flavor" we've been missing out on!

The purpose of church change must be to remain responsive to a changing culture. But while we may change the structure of a worship service, technology, or discipleship methods, we must echo the words of Paul: "I do it all for the sake of the gospel." Let a love for our community always exceed our love for personal comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment