Monday, June 6, 2016

Dishonest Honesty

No one will ever lie to you as well as you'll lie to yourself.

Trey Pearson made headlines this week as a gay Christian rock star (who I've never heard of). And the world loves him for it.

Trey says he hopes his decision starts a new conversation in Christianity. Pearson felt the church tried to suppress the real him. He says he never wanted to be gay, and even tried living straight with his wife and two children. After reading his interview in the Chicago Tribune, Trey merely exposes self-deception in his life.

"I'm finally being honest with myself." 
-Trey Pearson

I have no doubt that Trey has a struggle with same-sex attraction. But is there any other sin that allows the excuse, "I'm finally being honest with myself"?


I'm a thief. Just being honest with myself.
I'm a bully. Just being honest with myself.

The honesty to admit our temptations and sin is hugely important. But accepting those sins as who we truly are is a mistake. God made us for more!

Jesus WANTS you to be honest with yourself. Not in order that you would accept your sins, but so you would reject them.

Sin does you no favors. In the words of A.W. Tozer, "Sin is so serious to God, He let His Son die." If sin was no big deal, and we just needed to be honest with ourselves, Jesus would have never left Heaven for the cross.

Satan is the father of lies. He wants to convince us that we have no choice when we succumb to personal temptation...

"I just have a short fuse."
"I'm a guy. I can't help to look."
"I was born this way."

And yet, 1 Corinthians 10:13 says that we all face "common" temptations and that God never allows us to be tempted beyond our ability.

I would welcome an opportunity to have a conversation with Pearson, especially on one major point: As a confessing Christian, what scriptural support are you using as approval for your lifestyle? Scripture is the only way we can truly be honest with ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment