Monday, February 29, 2016

Why I Don't Re-Preach Sermons

My last two weeks were spent as a guest preacher at different church plants. At the first, I knew the passage I wanted to share, and the second requested a particular passage for their current series. Both were passages I had preached on before.

But I didn't reuse those previous sermons. 

There wasn't anything wrong with them, but after I write and deliver a message it simply turns into a speech. Sermons must be more than words. The first person who must come under conviction of the message is the preacher. Conviction shapes not only the study of God's Word, but the delivery.

So if I simply re-preach a message, there is little struggle for me. Some pastors may do a better job of reengaging with their previous sermon, but I know myself. If the sermon is written, I'm going to spend time doing something else. It's important that each sermon, bible study, or Sunday School lesson be tailored for that individual audience for that individual day. It's the reason no one would ever buy one of my sermons to use as their own: I work too hard to personalize it to my spiritual journey and to the audience God has placed me in front of.

What's the lesson for those of you who aren't preachers? Don't presume you can live off your previous spiritual work, like the person who doesn't re-read the gospels because they already know the story.

They're wrong.

Keep on wrestling with the truth of God's Word. It will hurt at times, but the purpose is always to make you stronger. You are never strong enough!

1 comment:

  1. GOD'S Word is alive and active - always something fresh if we seek Him. Good stuff here, Pastor Heath. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete