Monday, February 22, 2016

How Great I Aren't

I am not the Michael Jordan of pastors. 

No one has tried to assure me that I am, except myself a few times. It's not proven by personal statements of my own greatness, but revealed when I worry about the church falling apart in my absence.

It's so easy to overestimate our value in life. We imagine how our team, our employer, or even our church would ever get along without us. The reality is, probably just fine. (OK, the Jordan-less Bulls were the exception).

This fear arose in me even as God does exciting things in the life of our church. We are seeing growth in the membership, people responding to the gospel, and a renewal of personal discipleship. It didn't come because I worked harder as a pastor. If anything, it's come as my church and I have relinquished these areas to greater prayer instead of greater self-effort.

So when I was offered the opportunity to preach at two church plants this month, my joy quickly turned to worry.
Will my absence kill our momentum? 
Am I being selfish to accept these exciting opportunities at the expense of my own church?

Yes...I pray against my pride and ego often. 

Long story short, I left town and my church didn't fall down. I prayed diligently for the message of our guest preacher, and have already received encouraging messages from the membership on how his challenge to slow down and listen to Jesus connected with them.

God doesn't need me. God doesn't need you. And yet, He has equipped you and wants you to be a diligent servant for Him. It's our responsibility to remember How Great I Aren't. Anything good I do or have done is a result of fully utilizing the gifts and abilities God has placed within me. So pray for the humility in your life to be like Jesus who "emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant." (Philippians 2:7)

1 comment:

  1. And now I'm singing "How Great I am not." To the tune of that famous hymn thanks to you....

    ReplyDelete