Monday, March 7, 2016

Big Church or Small Church: Which is Right?

This is not another post on Andy Stanley. 

Here is my take on the difference between big and small churches:
  • Big churches tend to do things with excellence. 
  • Small churches tend to do things with intimacy. 

Personally, I've always preferred a smaller church experience (less than 300). The opportunity to know my pastor and my church family has always been important to me. Yes, we are more likely to struggle with finances and ministry help, but together these obstacles can become opportunities for the small church.

However, I recently gained a new perspective on big churches during lunch with a fellow laborer in the gospel. His reason for favoring big churches was simple: "I love the atmosphere of joining with a large group of people and experiencing worship together." To him, there is an encouragement that comes from seeing so many other believers joining him in song, praise, prayer, and discipleship. 

[The early church] "devoted themselves to the apostles teaching, and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." Acts 2:42

The early church exploded in Acts 2 as thousands were saved, so you could argue for megachurches from this passage. You could also argue for small churches since these believers worshiped in smaller groups in a variety of homes. 

But why argue at all? If you are happy in your church why do you care what size church someone else attends? I care when someone goes to a church that doesn't believe the Bible is inerrant, or advocates baptism for babies. But if you feel a greater connection with God as you worship with 1000 other people in a solid church, then go for it. 

Yes, Andy's comments on the selfishness of those who attend a small church initially made me a bit perturbed (thanks spellcheck). But I think I hear what he was trying to say, and Christians should always make that effort with one another. Let's stop presuming large churches or small churches are better. Instead, let 2 Timothy 2:23 be our guide: "Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels."

No comments:

Post a Comment