Tuesday, August 2, 2016

What are you in it for?

This guy is teaching me a lot about preaching. 
If you don't know Tim Hawkins, you're really missing out. Not only is he a great comedian, but a great communicator. In his weekly podcast, he shares personal and honest lessons from his years on stage, including this nugget:
"I had to learn that comedy isn't about getting laughs...it's about giving them."

"All day long the lazy craves and craves, but the righteous gives and does not hold back." Proverbs 21:26

We love to get. And I'm learning that lesson extends far beyond gifts and money. Too often I've preached in an attempt to elicit a particular response from my congregation. What if I concerned myself more with what I'm giving as I serve, instead of what I might be receiving from my service?

Where are you trying to GET more than GIVE? 
Your kids don't appreciate you enough? That's OK...keep giving.
Your spouse doesn't appreciate all your sacrifices? That's OK...keep giving.
Your church doesn't know all the hidden work you do? That's OK...keep giving.
Let us be the righteous who refuses to hold back! 

Are you doing the best you can, not for what you can get, but what you can give? Answer...that...question...slowly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment