Monday, August 15, 2016

The Danger of Spiritual Shortcuts

This is how I imagine it looks when I'm playing guitar. 


In my previous church I became the worship leader by default. A drummer by trade, I realized I needed to get good at the guitar fast to fill this needed role.

It started off easy enough. G, C, D, and even Em were quickly part of my repertoire. But, the chords progressively got harder and I was struggling to master them.

So I cheated.

Most guitar chords have different variants and I learned the easiest versions. The average person in the congregation couldn't really tell the difference, though the trained ear could.

And God has a trained ear.

There is no cheap, easy, or lazy way to serve God. -Adrian Rogers

Close is fine for horseshoes, hand grenades, and even guitar chords. However, the Bible warns against spiritually settling. Romans 12:11 challenges us with these words:
"Do not lack diligence; be fervent in spirit; serve the Lord."

Even though I don't play much for worship settings anymore, I'm currently working to improve my guitar chords. I'm no longer happy with the shortcuts and I'm ready to play the right way.

Where are you taking spiritual shortcuts? 

  • Praying during your commute is great, but do you also take time for undistracted prayer? 
  • Reading devotionals is helpful, but are you reading God's Word, or just what others say about the Bible? 
Shortcuts can carry us through challenging times, but be sure you do not lack diligence as you serve and grow in the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment