Monday, January 11, 2016

Emotional Adultery

I love Kindle. 

It seemed nothing could beat that old book smell, but the ability to pull out my phone anywhere and start reading made me a believer. And as I began buying more Kindle books, I started browsing the top 25.

It was shocking. 

Cover after cover was of bare-chested men, standing like a statue or embracing some beautiful woman.

Two thoughts came to mind:
1. I need to work out more.
2. There's a lot of emotional adultery going on.

Now I hesitate to give it a different title from adultery, because Jesus didn't...

"everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:28

This counts for men and women; dreaming or contemplating a relationship with someone who is not your spouse is adultery. You may never touch them with your hands, but if you touch them with your heart, you have crossed the line. It's emotional adultery.

Humans are so good at making distinctions when it comes to our sin. But Jesus died for all our sins, both those that are seen publicly and those seen only by God. So it's ludicrous to believe that as long as you avoid a physical relationship that the long conversations, sideways glances, and daydreams aren't actual unfaithfulness.

When you are investing in a person more than your spouse, you are wrong. 

Are you being faithful in your emotions and your thoughts? Keeping it clean on the surface, while stained by sin on the inside, is not an accomplishment to be proud of.

2 comments:

  1. Great scope idea. Where do you draw the line between lust and appreciation of beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great question. I have wanted to jump on Periscope, but my ministry is so busy it's bleeding over outside of my office time as well. One day...

    ReplyDelete