Monday, July 13, 2015

Exchanging achieve for believe!

I hate learning. 

Maybe I should qualify that statement. I really hate learning how little I know.

I have been listening to lots of church leadership podcasts as I go on bike rides or drive, and there are so many issues being brought up before me.

  • Does our parking meet the needs of our sanctuary seating?
  • Do we have 80% of our worship attendance involved in small group Bible studies?
  • And roughly 50 billion other things to remember.
I'm a teacher probably more than I'm a pastor. I love leading people to depth in Jesus, and I hate the logistics of ministry. Where's UPS on that one?

So when I read Genesis 15:6 in my devotional time recently, the Holy Spirit gave me a great comfort.

"Abraham believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness." (Genesis 15:6)

God didn't credit Abraham for working harder, but believing harder! So I'm reminded that what God wants to do in my church is not about my ability to plan. It's not about my ability to achieve.

It's about my ability to believe.

Jesus said to seek His Kingdom and righteousness first. And seeking requires belief in a God who's ready to work if we'll stop trying to do so much of it by ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment