Monday, April 20, 2015

One Simple Way A Pastor Can Encourage Children

"It's not enough to love the children, it is necessary that they are aware they are loved." John Bosco

Adrian Rogers was a 3-time president of the Southern Baptist Convention, the pastor of a 29,000 member church, and one of my preaching heroes. But my favorite story about the man comes from my Greek professor in seminary. I'll re-tell the story in his words to the best of  my ability:

"As I was walking the hallways of Bellevue Baptist Church just prior to a worship service, I noticed a man, down on one knee, talking face to face with a young child. As I got closer, I realized it was Dr. Rogers who was listening intently to this little boy. While I'm sure Adrian had several things on his mind, such as the order of the forthcoming service or his own sermon, he took the time to listen and speak with that little boy and to be his pastor. Of all the wonderful sermons and actions that Dr. Rogers took in the time I knew him, this act stuck with me more than any other."

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19:14 NIV)

That story was meaningful to me as a young minister and now as a lead pastor. Yes, I've got places to go and people to see, especially on a Sunday morning. But aren't children people? If Jesus took special time away from talking to adults to let the little children come to Him, how much more so should I as a pastor? I remain mindful that I need to be quick to stop and stoop in order to be the pastor even to the youngest child.

We lament the exodus of young people from our churches. We love them and we want to see God's work in their lives, but have we told them that? Have we stopped to take a knee and look them in the eye and listen to them?

I encourage pastors, ministers, volunteers, and parents to stop and stoop from time to time. Do not tower over, but get face to face with a child and let them know you care. And perhaps such simple efforts will help these kids see a genuine Christianity that continues to register with them into adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment