Tuesday, October 23, 2018

If I Believe It, Why Don't I Teach It?


Pastor is one of the most dangerous titles a person can hold. 

Pastors can be tempted to misuse their position, granting themselves authority over people's lives that is non-existent. For me, 1 Peter 5:2-3 is the ultimate pastor job description:

"Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing...not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock."

My role as a pastor is to lead by example. 
My role as pastor is not to lord over others. 

As a believer, I hold personal convictions. 
As a pastor, I cannot teach them as commands. 
Let me give you the two examples I am challenged on the most. 

Thou Shalt Not Drink

Baptist church constitutions have for years adopted a covenant including this line: "Members will abstain from the sale and use of intoxicating drinks as a beverage." While I appreciate the intent behind the statement, there is a huge problem...the Bible doesn't prohibit drinking alcohol. 

The Bible warns against the dangers of alcohol consumption, of which there are many (Prov 23:29-35, Isaiah 5:11). What the Bible does not do is expressly prohibit the drinking of alcohol. I personally do not drink. I've seen too many lives damaged, and I hold to the words of Dr. James Merritt, "You'll never be bitten by a snake you don't play with." 

Should I teach my church that drinking alcohol is a sin? No, because scripture does not teach it. Do I share my personal conviction on the subject with my church? Absolutely, but I ensure they know it's the words of man and not of God. 

Thou Shalt Tithe

I know several people in my church disagree with me on this point, but the cool thing is that we have no trouble continuing our potlucks together! However, the assertion that I do not believe in tithing is only half true. 

I recently taught a series on generosity in which I shared a pattern of generosity for every Christian I learned from a former pastor with Generis:
  1. Potential: We all have the potential to give
  2. Priority: We all must make giving a priority
  3. Proportional: We should set an intentional proportion in our giving
  4. Partner: We should be ready for additional opportunities for generosity
#3 on Proportional giving is where I think the tithe (giving 10% of your income) would fall. Personally, I have always held the tithe is an important place where our giving really grows our faith. However, if people give 10% because they were told they must, there's little opportunity for faith. The church hasn't allowed many believers to first understand their potential and the need to set giving as a priority before becoming a proportional giver. 

The New Testament gives numerous statements on our generosity. We don't determine our giving with a calculator, but with our heart (1 Cor 16:2, 2 Cor 9:7). 

Should I teach my church that failing to tithe is a sin? No, because scripture does not teach it. Have I seen the blessings of proportional giving in my own life? Absolutely, and those blessings have moved our family to be a partnering giver in other areas as we are able. Christians don't have freedom from giving, but they have freedom in giving. 

My Wish Is Not Your Command
Paul writes in 1 Cor 7 of how singleness has freed him from the pressures of married life to more fully serve Christ. While he sees the value of such a life, he writes in 1 Cor 7:6-7:

"This is not a command. I wish that all of you were as I am." 

Paul shared his personal conviction on singleness, but he never pushed his conviction as a commandment.

It would be easier for me to simply teach my personal convictions as biblical commands. 
It would also be dishonest, no matter how well-intentioned I may be. And if my congregation can't trust me on one doctrine, how can they trust me on anything ever again? Allow scripture to shape your convictions, but don't allow the line between personal conviction and biblical command to become blurred. 

No comments:

Post a Comment