Tuesday, November 1, 2016

A Great Terrible Sermon

A strikeout can be just what a team needs.


During an April contest between the Marlins and Giants, the Marlins were at bat with a runner on third. The Marlins hitter swung and struck out, but the catcher dropped the ball. But rule, the batter can still attempt to make it to first base before the catcher throws him out. The Giants catcher quickly fired to first for the out.

And Dee Gordon was just waiting for that moment. During the confusion at the plate, he made a dash for home. The first baseman quickly returned the ball to the catcher, but it was too late. Dee Gordon had turned a strikeout into a run.

And this pretty much describes what happened to me on Sunday.

I felt so weak before preaching Sunday, mainly as I was still trying to kick some sickness. I had prayed and prepared for the message, but felt drained in every way as I stepped on the platform. The message didn't lack for truth or preparation, but as I wrapped up, I felt I hadn't brought enough to it. And since then, many people have reached out to share how the message challenged or encouraged them.

I'm not saying that more people need to compliment my sermons. I'm saying I need to change my perspective.

I've had "homerun" sermons that I was just sure were going to be barn burners and lead many to decisions. But at other times, "strikeout" sermons have more deeply impacted people and led them to Christ. I'm not saying preparation should be ignored. I'm saying I shouldn't presume upon which situations God can effectively work.

God reminds us that when we're weak is when we're truly strong (2 Corinthians 12:9). My need is to recognize that my inabilities do not limit God's abilities. Where do you feel weak? Where do you feel like you're just striking out? Maybe it's time to ask ask God to work, not when we feel weak, but because we are always weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment