Monday, April 4, 2016

Praying AND Praising

How do you react when you see a car accident?

On my drive home from the gym this morning, I saw the aftermath of a terrible two-car accident. Firefighters surrounded a car that had been flipped on its side, while the passenger of the other car had already been extricated.

I began praying. Praying for the life and recovery of those injured. Praying for those first responders who don't know Christ to consider their own mortality and eternity.

And then I started praising. I recalled how many times I've asked God to protect me on roadtrips, and how few times I thank Him after He's done so. I praised God for giving me three healthy children, an incredible wife, and the blessings He has brought to our family.

I especially think of this on a Monday morning.

Monday isn't just the first step towards Friday. It's so tempting to quickly get started on your week, but I'm learning that Mondays are opportunities to thank God for the week that is behind.

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Many of us know we should pray without ceasing. But do you also praise without ceasing? Do you move so quickly to the next request that you fail to thank Him for the previous answer?

Me too. 

So let's commit that Monday's aren't for complaining, but for contemplating everything God has done. Let us take this day, and everyday, for praying and praising our great God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment