Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Say No to God

"Sin will take you farther than you want to go,
Keep you longer than you want to stay
And cost you more than you want to pay."
-Adrian Rogers

My first cell phone cost $1100.

It was 1998 and other people were getting phones, and I really wanted one bad! Ultimately, it took up an entire pants pocket and cost me $60 a month for 200 minutes.

While today, cell phones are nearly a necessity, I can say that my first phone wasn't worth what it cost me.

And the same can be said for sin. We need to view sin by what we lose, not what we gain.

"For sin shall no longer be your master..." Romans 6:14

When you said "yes" to Jesus, you said "no" to sin. So it stands to reason that EVERY TIME you and I choose sin, we are simply saying no to God. We know the choice He wants us to make, but we ignore His command by our rashness, ignorance, or even our blatant defiance.

I liken it to driving on the interstate. It's a smooth, fast way to get to a bigger destination. But imagine you took off ramps every hour. You could eventually get to your destination, but not without wasting a lot of time and effort.

Whatever sin offers you, obedience offers you more! Next time you find the bait of temptation before you, remember that whatever is offered is a lie (John 8:44). Ask yourself, "Do I want to say no to sin or no to God?"

No comments:

Post a Comment