Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Why Your Diet Didn't Work (And Probably Never Will)

Tomika: "Why don't you go on a diet?"

Dewey: "Because I like to eat! Is that such a crime!"
-"School of Rock"



Due to the overwhelming response to my article in the Illinois Baptist last week on Physical Health Being a Spiritual Issue, I thought I would post a quick follow-up on some practical ways I accomplished my goals.

So here are 5 tips to help you in your journey. I'm not a health expert. Just a guy that finally got over the hurdle of food in my life.

1. Pray.
     This isn't just something I'm throwing in. Ask God to change your attitude towards food and to strengthen your efforts to be more active. Prayer was a missing component in my efforts for years.

2. It's a lifestyle, not a number.
     A recent University of Pennsylvania study found that 65% of dieters return to their pre-dieting weight within three years. This is because they tried to hit a number, lost the weight rapidly, but never changed their attitude towards food or physical activity. If food takes up a lot of your thoughts during the day, that must change before the number on the scale ever can.
     It's OK to set a goal for your weight, but don't hold yourself to a time goal as long as you're moving in the right direction. It took me 2 years to lose my goal of 50 lbs. But it's stayed off.

3. Do Fun Exercise!
     P-90X may shape your body quickly, but are you having fun doing it? I tried exercise videos that certainly worked, but I didn't enjoy them. So I started running while listening to my favorite podcasts and always looked forward to it. Now that I'm trying to save wear and tear on my knees, I ride my bike several times a week while listening instead. Try several different options until you find what's right for you. Even walking can make a difference!

4. Eat smart, not sprouts.
     Eating smart doesn't mean you can't have pizza. It means you can't have the whole pizza. I look forward to my weekend pizza and soda, but I drink water until it's pizza time and save myself about 400 empty calories during a normal Saturday.

5. Remember that food is fuel.
     Do you overflow you car's gas tank? Of course not, because it wastes gas and money. It's the same with food, except that instead of spilling on the ground, your body packs that fuel away. Listen to your body, eat slowly, and "eat to live, don't live to eat."

This isn't an exhaustive list, but these helped me create a lifestyle and not just a lower number on the scale. If I can offer any other tips or answer questions, don't hesitate to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment