Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Dog Paddle Prayers

To say that I'm not a good swimmer may give you the false impression that in some way I can swim.

The reality is...

And while dog paddling is fine for poor swimmers, are you happy with that for your prayer life? 

Though I consider my prayer life strong, God continues to show me there is ALWAYS room for growth! As a result, I'm often looking for ways to keep my times with the Lord fresh and meaningful. 

So I hope these ideas grow your prayer life from dog paddling to solid strokes the same way they did for me!
Sunday Sundays
It's not a bad parody of the great hit by the Mamas and the Papas, but instead I take time to pray specifically for fellow pastors, ministers, and churches as we worship.

My Mondays
While I pray for my family throughout the week, I spend extra time praying for my wife, kids, and our future together in a much deeper way. I often email those prayers to my kids afterwards. 

Theology Thursdays
I've been using The Valley of Vision to guide me as I drop my requests, take more time for confession, and spend more time talking to God and asking to understand him better. In the words of A.W. Tozier's classic The Knowledge of the Holy"I want to want Thee."

On Friday mornings I simply pray for people as I scroll my Facebook feed. You'll be surprised at the people who you suddenly find yourself praying for and perhaps even reaching out to as a result. 

My final encouragement is to read the Bible before you pray. Allow God to speak first before and to direct you on where the conversation may need to go. 

Do you have other ways you keep your conversations with God fresh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment