Tuesday, February 10, 2015

A Lifetime Vs. A Second

Playing basketball for Mizzou was the highlight of my college days. I hit a couple of game-winners here and there, but it was always more about the team than any individual accomplishment. That's me, number 15


Or maybe I was number 24.

     Wait now...it has been a few years since I was in college, so let me think for a second. Oh, actually I didn't play on the team, but I did play with some of the players at the Student Rec Center a couple times. I guess it's been so long, I got a little mixed up. Honest mistake.

     Now if I told you that story, you'd be unlikely to ever believe me again. But Brian Williams of NBC news tells a fabricated story (in kindergarten we called it a lie), and we're supposed to believe the passage of 12 years can cause someone confusion about whether the helicopter they were riding in was shot down or not. My daughter was born 12 years ago and I was in the delivery room. I have never once confused myself for the doctor who actually delivered her. 

     America is broken. We have allowed truth to become absolutely meaningless for journalists, politics, and even marriage. We teach our children at a young age to tell the truth, but adulthood has turned us into a bunch of Pontius Pilates asking: 


"what is truth?" (John 18:38)

     It takes a lifetime to build your testimony and only a second to destroy it. Brian Williams will forevermore be known as a man who was willing to put a good story before the truth. Is that how you want your kids to describe you? Or your friends? You may jazz up your stories a bit, but you will kill your testimony for Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment